Sunday, November 16, 2008

A Romantic Comedy. With Zombies.

My husband and I are getting old. We can't seem to sleep past 7:00 a.m., even on weekends. So when we get up, the coffee gets made and the t.v. gets flipped on for awhile. How long depends on what we have to do that day.

This morning, after my sweetie got done with watching a DVR of Lydia's Italy, he said, "You can watch whatever you want."

"Really?"

"Sure."

Enter Shaun of the Dead, baby. Those of you who know zombie movies, know this movie. For those of you who haven't run across this movie... Where the heck have you been?

Written by Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright, the 2004 release earned $3.3 million on its opening weekend, even though it had only a limited release in the U.S. Since then, it seems, Shaun of the Dead has enjoyed a cult classic status. I discovered this movie in the trailers of another movie I had rented (which also featured a trailer for Cannibal! The Musical, but I haven't been able to nab that one, yet.). I can't believe I missed it when it came out. I'm just glad that I watch trailers, sometimes.

Essentially, the story is about Shaun (Simon Pegg), an appliance salesman, who lives with his two flatmates, Pete (Peter Sarafinowicz) and Ed (Nick Frost). Shaun's main interest in life is to go to his favorite pub, the Winchester, every night, much to the dissatisfaction of his girlfriend, Liz (Kate Ashfield). After Liz dumps Shaun, Ed takes Shaun to the Winchester to drown his sorrows, leading into one of the funniest scenes ever in the zombie genre. The song "White Lines," will never be the same for me.

I won't go into the plot any further, but be assured that the comic team of Nick Frost and Simon Pegg will keep you laughing in this great send-up of the traditional zombie movie, or shall I say, movie about the "mobile deceased?" Pegg recently called for a return to zombie values here.

By the way, if you like Nick Frost, you can see him in a series of vignettes called Man Stroke Woman here. Those in the know, will know that Frost and Pegg teamed up for another send-up (this time of the buddy action flick) in Hot Fuzz. Great double feature for Sunday morning.

For tips on surviving a zombie attack, click here. And stay away from bloody, slow-moving people.

1 comment:

  1. wISH i COULD OF BEEN THERE TO HELP SHAUN BREAK SOME HEADS!!LOL iT WAS A GREAT MOVIE!!

    ReplyDelete

In order to protect my readers, I screen all comments. Spammers will immediately have their comments deleted, so please, if you are a spammer, just go away. I will promote your blog or site if I know you, but if not, please accept my invitation to the world.