Thursday, December 11, 2008

Halloween Cartoons

When I was a kid growing up in L.A., there was a show on KTLA Channel 5, hosted by Tom Hatten. Mr. Hatten introduced us kids to the world of black and white cartoons with Popeye and His Friends. I simply loved these cartoons, and still have a soft spot in my heart for those late-twenties, through 1930's characters, the music, and the innocence implied in these cartoons. I asked my sister-in-law what my nephew thought of these, and she said he thinks they're boring. He's going to be five years old on the 24th of this month. Am I the only one who thinks kids are overstimulated these days? No wonder they're all on Ritalin!
But I digress...
I feel sad for kids who miss the 30's era of cartoons, the forerunners of Spongebob and all the other marketing icons, I mean, characters of today.
Here's Mickey Mouse in Haunted House (1929). Before the term "Mouseschwitz" was coined, there was the real Mickey. He was cute!


Here's another classic: The Skeleton Dance.

A 1934 version of The Headless Horseman.


And a couple decades later (1958), The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, starring Bing Crosby.



Although my favorite version of the song is sung by Tony the Tiger himself, Thurl Ravenscroft. I don't like the video on this one, I include it for the song only.


I think it's fun to go back to some of these old things for inspiration for "new" props. I think the reason we react to certain elements of horror is because of these images left over from childhood. Visceral is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to protect my readers, I screen all comments. Spammers will immediately have their comments deleted, so please, if you are a spammer, just go away. I will promote your blog or site if I know you, but if not, please accept my invitation to the world.