Thursday, January 22, 2009

Bodie

A few years back, Mr. ShellHawk and I took a trip to the June Lake area. June Lake is in California, on the eastern side of the Sierras. We both feel it's one of the most beautiful areas in the state. We stayed at a condo, which we used as our base of operations, and took little day trips from there. We got a lot of fishing done, visited Mono Lake, and took a trip up to Bodie.
Bodie was a mining town in the 1860s, growing rapidly during those years to a population of 10,000. As I understand it, Bodie was inhabited until the 1950s. To my knowledge, Bodie remains the largest unrestored ghost town in California, and perhaps the U.S.

For those of you who are into Gold-Rush-era history, take some time to head to Bodie and walk around a bit. The mine itself is closed now, as it's unsafe, so you can't tour that. What they do have available is a self-tour that's really interesting. We didn't get to Chinatown while we were there, as we were walking around all day and were a bit tired, but I look forward to going again one day. There are a few buildings you can actually go into, but most you can just peek through windows.

Some of these shots I took with my cell phone, so pardon the picture quality. The rest, Mr. ShellHawk took with his Digital Rebel.

Enjoy!



































1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is great. I will definately visit next time we are down that way. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

In order to protect my readers, I screen all comments. Spammers will immediately have their comments deleted, so please, if you are a spammer, just go away. I will promote your blog or site if I know you, but if not, please accept my invitation to the world.