Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Thank Goodness For Retailers

I've been so darn busy lately with school and visiting my new acquisitions in the garage (only visiting, as I've been too busy to actually sit down and use any of the ceramics stuff I just bought. Grr.) that I've lost track of time.

It happens to me a lot. I get so wrapped up in doing doing doing, go go go, every day, that I forget what time of year it is. Unless it's Halloween, of course. I can't tell you how many times I glance at a calendar and startle because I've almost missed a birthday or anniversary. Or realize that a Holiday is only a few days away.

I went to that french store, Tar zhay (Target, to the uninitiated) to pick up a couple of things for the house the other day, and had one of those moments. St. Patrick's Day (Amateur Night is what the folks at my favorite Irish Pub, Ireland's 32, call it), once a favorite holiday, is almost here. I'd never buy a green wig, but it made me smile to see the stuff hanging up, waiting for its drunken opportunity to glom on to some unsuspecting head. (I once waitressed on St. Pat's day as a favor to a friend one year. Some guy asked me for a green Guinness. I just looked at him, trying to bore into his alcohol-soaked, pea-sized intellect with the force of my eyes. He just looked at me like I was crazy and told me to go get his drink. I conveniently forgot to return with it. If you think about it, you'll understand why.)

And that sweet, made-over Pagan Holiday, Easter, is nearly here as well. Bunnies and eggs are abundant in all the stores, along with dyeing kits and plastic green grass. Mr. ShellHawk and I are hosting brunch again this year, so over the weekend, I planted various types of seeds in individual pots to give away to our guests at brunch. (Cycle of life, rebirth, renewal. That kind of theme.) The seedlings always look so sweet, sitting above each place setting.

It occurs to me that my life is going through that rebirth and renewal thing now, too. It's about time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to protect my readers, I screen all comments. Spammers will immediately have their comments deleted, so please, if you are a spammer, just go away. I will promote your blog or site if I know you, but if not, please accept my invitation to the world.