Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Hand Job

I've been working on the stirring witch for what seems like forever, now. Since I'm not working, I'm trying not to spend more money than I have to, so I'm trying to make some good looking hands with what I have. Neighbor V was kind enough to sit and have a plaster cast made from her hands. I had the idea to take the casting, pour in hot glue and add wires for poseable hands that were realistic-looking. So much for bright ideas.While theoretically a good idea, this was a pretty big fail. I used vaseline as a release, and some wire lying around in the shop. Before you say it, I know they said to use thicker wire in How to Haunt Your House. I was lazy and didn't want to wrestle my wire hangers, so it's my own damn fault.I have limited experience with casting, so I expected there might be unforseen problems. I expected to have to clean up the seams, because this was plaster and not a professional silicone or rubbery mold I was using. Long story short, I had to break the cast to get the hands out, and I couldn't even pose them because the wire was wrong. Doesn't the picture look promising, though?
Oh, well. I'm sure I can paint them and have them coming up out of the ground in the graveyard. Bummer, though. The were really detailed and pretty.

3 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear that!!! They did look promising.

    After many years of molding and casting....we feel your pain!!

    If I had some female hands lying around I would send you some...but I am out for the season. If you want to spend money you don't have :D Ghost ride has a really nice set. We are using them on one of our props.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you will find a solution to your problem. Crafty people always do. BTW I'm not crafty at all which means I rely totally on others when my props building goes wrong.

    Have a nice evening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tee hee. Hand job.

    Sorry it didn't work out :(

    ReplyDelete

In order to protect my readers, I screen all comments. Spammers will immediately have their comments deleted, so please, if you are a spammer, just go away. I will promote your blog or site if I know you, but if not, please accept my invitation to the world.