Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Other People's Idiocy is Exhausting

It is 10:32 a.m. as I write this post. I have been on the phone, dealing with two completely separate issues of other people's idiocy, since 8:15 a.m. I have had to explain their moronic screw-up to one idiot company (that's you, FedEx!) no less than six different times, adding new details the last four times because their avalanche of stupidity has actually extended itself to bury my meager business checking account in overdraft fees equalling over one hundred dollars. Today's phone call included being transferred to three separate people and departments, totalling no less than four separate people in an hour and a half.

Predictably, I have to spend my time proving to them their stupidity has cost me money.

Including having to run back to the FedEx office with the package they mistakenly mailed to me, instead of the proper shipping address, I've had to spend around five-and-a-half to six hours of my life dealing with something that should have been as simple as breathing air. Oh, and did I mention that they improperly wrapped my very delicate sculpture after swearing they'd be very careful? Yeah, thanks, FedEx. I'll be sure to use your service again, really soon.

Frustrating.

Not, however, as frustrating as having to call my college's "Citation Processing Center" for a "hearing" so I can prove to them that their parking control officer is not only an idiot, but apparently blind, too, because he gave me a citation for not having a parking sticker on the car window that I had a parking sticker on.

Yes, my parking sticker was clearly displayed in the window. Yes, I sent pictures. Yes, I sent a copy of my receipt for the parking sticker (dated January 3rd, no less.). No, ma'am, I have no idea why he would write a ticket for a sticker that was clearly displayed. I'm not trying to be argumentative ma'am, but why on earth would I buy a sticker on January 3rd-before the semester even began-and not have it displayed, and why on earth would three weeks of the semester go by without any other parking control officer noticing my sticker was not displayed and therefore writing me a ticket? Ma'am, that's what these guys are paid to do; surely, they would have noticed if there wasn't a sticker in my window before this.

What did you say, ma'am? That I'm not giving you any reason to decide in my favor? Oh. Respectfully, ma'am, I'm forty-three years old and I bloody well know how to put a sticker on my windshield. I'm not an irresponsible kid just out of high school expecting mommy and daddy to pay my ticket. I've been out of work for two years, now, and I can't afford to be paying tickets because I can't be bothered to follow simple instructions.

Oh, you might be able to help me on this one, but not any future tickets I may have?

 I've been in this college system for three years, and have not received one ticket. I have not received a regular parking ticket in fifteen years. I think there will be no "future tickets." [sotto voce] particularly if the college district begins to require eye exams of their parking officers. What, ma'am? Nothing ma'am. Thanks for your time, ma'am. *click*

Btw, do these people ever rule in favor of the accused? I doubt it. Maybe I'll get lucky, though. You never know.

I could have been doing something useful. *sigh*

4 comments:

  1. If this wasn't so damn sad, it'd be hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, yeah, yeah. No one's ever gotten a ticket and then put the sticker on their windshield and said it's been there all along. And the jails are full of innocent people. ;>

    Hey, there are quotas to be filled, you know.

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, people are just plain old stupid. And to talk to someone on the phone....forget it!

    Like Pam said,very sad.....but I was laughing the whole time I was reading this.....:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ghoulish Cop- Seriously! It was right there!

    Yes, I know there are quotas, and apparently it was my job to fill it! ;o)

    ReplyDelete

In order to protect my readers, I screen all comments. Spammers will immediately have their comments deleted, so please, if you are a spammer, just go away. I will promote your blog or site if I know you, but if not, please accept my invitation to the world.