Monday, September 26, 2011

Christmas Ape has the right idea...
Well, I survived my first weekend on Apple Hill. I made some sales, reconnected with old acquaintances, drank beer and wine, and wished that people would bloody well watch their children.


Since I have a lot more product to offer, packing things up at the end of the day takes a very long time, and since I have to break down my tent every Sunday, it adds up to 2 1/2 hours straight of wrapping, arranging, and fighting with the tent. (I find just writing about it is making me want to go back to bed!) I really wish I could afford an employee or two to help out, but at this stage, there would be no profit at the end of the day if I had to pay someone. *sigh* Where is Igor when you need him?


It does remind me, however, that my eventual goal is to open up a brick and mortar store/gallery. After Hallowe'en, I need to take some time to do some serious planning to make that happen, or something that will be workable and profitable for me.


Meanwhile, sometime this week, I plan to putter with my Madame Leota project. The features on the bust are still a little too defined, so I'm going to see if joint compound will adhere to the fired clay and flatten the features out a little more. (If anyone has a better idea, please let me know!) I'm visualizing my apothecary/seance space (goodness knows actually plotting it out on paper would make far too much sense!) and am thinking perhaps one or two more velvet-like, drapery-ish panels may need to be added to expand the space to accommodate the projector. Of course, if I had any cash, I'd build or buy some antique-looking shelves (or make a thrift shop purchase and age them, myself) to create the apothecary space. 


Mr. ShellHawk has caught the spirit of the apothecary, and has been keeping an eye out for visually interesting bottles. I came home the other day to find a Herencia Mexicana Tequila bottle by the kitchen sink.


"What's up with this?" I asked.


"Oh, I thought that would make a great bottle for the apothecary." Cool Mr. ShellHawk!


Of course, the temptation is to head out to BevMo and buy every unusual booze bottle I can lay my hands on, but that can get sort of spendy! I suppose I'll have to comb the thrift stores for some more. I do have to say I'm excited to have some great apothecary labels from Damn French Desserts and some labels from Dead Spider's Etsy Store to play with. I like the idea of having different styles of labels, as if the witch in question goes to the store and buys her favorite brands.


I just can't wait for Hallowe'en!

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to protect my readers, I screen all comments. Spammers will immediately have their comments deleted, so please, if you are a spammer, just go away. I will promote your blog or site if I know you, but if not, please accept my invitation to the world.