Monday, April 13, 2009

The Orphanage

Well, it's back to school and work, etc. I hope everyone had a lovely holiday with those nearest and dearest.I caught this little gem while on Spring Break last week. It's completely unsurprising that Guillermo Del Toro (Hellboy II, Pan's Labyrinth) has made a really good haunted house story.

A woman returns to her childhood home, a seaside orphanage, with the intentions of turning it into a hospice for special needs children. During a meet and greet party for prospective clients, her adopted son disappears, and she is convinced the ghosts of her childhood friends are the ones who took him. Strange events hurtle her to a twisty ending that I honestly didn't see coming.

Every moment of this film is beautifully shot, the pacing is perfect, and the acting drags you into rapport with the characters quickly. As disappointed as I have been with the horror genre's offerings of late, I was so very happy to get the first genuine case of chills running up my spine that I've had in a very long time. Creepy, bloody only when it tells the story, The Orphanage is a horror movie you really shouldn't miss. It is subtitled, so only one martini for you, or you'll miss something!

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to protect my readers, I screen all comments. Spammers will immediately have their comments deleted, so please, if you are a spammer, just go away. I will promote your blog or site if I know you, but if not, please accept my invitation to the world.