Saturday, December 3, 2011

The New Desk

I took the day off from shoveling through the strata in my office, but I thought I'd post pics of the new desk.
As you can see, it was made by the Huntley Simmons Furniture Company. From what little information I've been able to gather, it was likely made between 1929 and 1935. It's not in fantastic condition; it's gathered a few scratches and dings along its way to my office. Overall, though, it's still a pretty piece.

It's been great to actually have a drawer for my pencils instead of a pull-out shelf for a keyboard. I can't tell you how happy I am to have that option. You really can't find old-school desks like that in  Office Depot anymore, you know? The only regret I have is that it doesn't have a file drawer in the modern sense, but there's still some space for that in the back of Mr. ShellHawk's desk!

It really is a monument to when people actually sat down and hand-wrote letters to one another. I just love it.
Now all I need is to be able to afford one of Datamancer's nifty Nagy Magical-Moveable-Type Pixello-Dynamotronic Computational Engine thingies. I think it would go perfectly with the desk, don't you?

5 comments:

  1. Thats a beautiful piece of furniture and history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NICE! A beautiful piece of furniture indeed! Hey, maybe it's haunted! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is this desk valued at ? I have one identical to it but can't find an appraisal anywhere

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly don't know! I've never had it appraised.

      Delete

In order to protect my readers, I screen all comments. Spammers will immediately have their comments deleted, so please, if you are a spammer, just go away. I will promote your blog or site if I know you, but if not, please accept my invitation to the world.