Thursday, January 24, 2013

Why is Hallowe'en Such a Big Deal? Especially in January?

Image via Make Magazine and Kevin Smith's Facebook page
I think it boils down to people's innate need to create. 

I tell my beginning ceramics students that everyone is born creative. Hand a five-year-old an open can of Play-Doh, and they grab it and start making stuff. Hand an adult that same can, and they say, "Oh, I have no artistic ability," or run to check the instructions or the how-to page. (I find the idea of needing instructions for Play-Doh pretty weird, myself.)

I think it's because around age thirteen or fourteen, people start telling kids that art is only for "special people" and to start getting ready for their college careers. Everyone knows that art isn't a valid career, right? If it were, there would be funding available for it in a down economy. But that's a rant for another day.

Hallowe'en is a different animal. Hallowe'en, perhaps because it's "a kid's holiday," gives us permission to create whatever we like. We can be an artist, if only for the time it takes to make a prop or a costume.

Make Magazine had a nice little blurb about this concept. Head on over and read it. Then go make some truffle skulls. You won't regret it.

What's your idea for Hallowe'en this year?

3 comments:

  1. Very true. I think that art, in our culture is higly appreciated, but being an artist, is taboo. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is true. As a former art student I have lots of rants on art and creativity. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't see that it was your blog, and clicked that post title fully intending to rant at some jerk.

    So clearly I find it important, even in January. LOL As for my ideas for the year, I may be experiencing a major reboot. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete

In order to protect my readers, I screen all comments. Spammers will immediately have their comments deleted, so please, if you are a spammer, just go away. I will promote your blog or site if I know you, but if not, please accept my invitation to the world.