Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Exercise, Schmecsersize.

In my mind, this is me, but my body didn't get the memo.
Pic via YogaNonymous
O.k., I don't really mean that. I'm just frustrated, and reading Pensive Pumpkin's post about her challenges with weight and injury and all of that brought it to mind again.

Last Monday was my first day back to my fitness boot camp since I sprained my ankle over Labor Day weekend. Usually, it's three rounds around the stations, but this time it was four. It was hard, but I did it. (My quads ached for four days straight and sitting down and standing up caused whimpering that amused the crap out of Mr. ShellHawk and brought to harsh light the fact that I'm not twenty, anymore!)

By Tuesday night, I had a full-blown cold. I still have it, though I seem to be getting on top of it. (And no, I don't work out when I'm sick. I don't want to give it to anyone else!)

You could argue, perhaps rightly, that I didn't flush my system enough with water after the workout. You could marvel that my body reacted so quickly with shock at the indignity of such a hard workout after months of comparative inactivity. Maybe you'd be right. Maybe it was just a coincidence.

What it really is, is frustrating.

I'm tired of schlepping around these extra pounds--around twenty-five, if I want to be honest. (Let's not get into fat vs. muscle weight at this moment in time.) A good part of it is that I don't always eat right when I'm out of the house. At home, it's a lot easier, because I buy the groceries, and mostly, sweet things and junk food don't cross the threshold.

I find it hard to break old habits, just like the rest of you.
I am soooo going to look like this over-40 model!
Image via Dunia Magazine
The other big challenge is the injury factor. "Well, ShellHawk, it's all about form and not pushing too hard too fast, and--" Stop right there. It. Is. Not. 

Not when you sprain your ankle by walking, fer chrissakes! I'm a klutz, pure and simple, and as I've gotten older, it's gotten worse. That has got to stop, but I don't have a clue as to how to make it stop. Maybe it comes back to making an effort to get back into some kind of balance.

When I get into work mode, I don't pay attention to anything else, which isn't healthy, and sure is hell isn't a balanced approach to life. Like you, I'm juggling a bunch of things, and my health isn't at the top of the list as it should be. That has to change.


Tomorrow, I'm going to try to get back to my boot camp and get back into the swing of things. There's a weight loss challenge coming up on Friday, and I'm joining it. I'm tired of the way my clothes fit and the way I look in the mirror. By God, I looked and felt great when I was younger, even into my thirties! I want that back. I will get that back.

4 comments:

  1. I feel you on the exercise front. I am trying to get myself back in gear as well.

    You mentioned being clumsy and off balanced? Do you take a Vit. D supplement? I was feeling that way too and my doctor tested me and found that my Vit. D was very low, and that can effect your balance. Crazy huh? Not sure if this will help, but I wanted to mention it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am low on D, but this has been since I was a kid, and dad's always been a klutz, too! He blames himself for my klutziness. :o)

      Delete
  2. Love it! Let's motivate each other!!! Whoo hoo!!!!

    (also, my inner ear issue from last spring never resolved. i'm a clutzy mess, and feel your pain.)

    ReplyDelete

In order to protect my readers, I screen all comments. Spammers will immediately have their comments deleted, so please, if you are a spammer, just go away. I will promote your blog or site if I know you, but if not, please accept my invitation to the world.